Saturday, February 4, 2017

When I feel discouraged...

I've been speedrunning super Mario 64. For those unfamiliar, speedrunning is the art of playing video games as quickly as possible and getting the best time. There are official leaderboards. Most games have multiple categories based on different things, for instance sometimes you can sequence break or beat the game with glitches and sometimes the goal is just good execution to complete the game 100% as fast as possible. The category of Mario I am playing is 16 star. There are five categories in the game 120 star, 70 star, 16 star, 1 star, and 0 star. It is required to use 70 stars to complete the game normally, but the game came out in 1996 and has a lot of glitches in it. I love playing this game with glitches that break the game. You can go through doors and walls that would normally impede your progress using mips the rabbit and backwards long jumps. So  not that great at it yet. The current world record is 15:24 held by Xiah, a Japanese runner. He used more advanced glitches to get a faster 16 star route. I am using a beginner route which has sub 19 potential if executed perfectly. I am using slightly safer strategies than most and my pb (personal best) has steadily dropped over the last few weeks. I started out with a 1:20:XX and.moved on to sun hour shortly after. I key grinding down my time and I got sun 50 then sun 45. Then sub 35. Then I got a 33. Then 32:36 the other day. Then 31:03. Then yesterday 30:34 and 30:25. I was convinced I could pb again and get sub 30 today. I slept in and had big plans for the day. I tried a run and had to reset multiple times. I failed stars I hadn't messed up in ages. I was s train wreck. So I texted some family members and said I was feeling down about it. My cousin said i needed to be confident in myself. My aunt was cheering for me. I was ready. I was doing to finish a run. I got a 32:18. I know most runners don't finished if they miss a pb but I decided to push on. And tonight I wanted to try again. After miserable failing a star ⭐️ I had to reset because I got a game over. I tried once again and got a 32;32. Ad for getting sub 30 today it just wasn't meant to be. I am okay with that. Even though I am really sad I know that I will get it sometime soon. My hands and arms are hurting from the inputs and I have a movie day with a friend as well as a youth group super bowl party tomorrow. I'll get a day off. I may or may not go back Monday after school, I'll just see how I feel. I am probably out of town next weekend and I can't take my n64. Breaks are healthy. I think I'll just take an break for a week. It's probably a good idea. I need to remember not to be upset about failing. It will happen. I'm used to easy pbs, but I'm getting better. As Super Mario Bros world record holder darbian says the better you get the more you fail because you are trying to beat your best time which gets harder and harder to do. Darbian has put in 22,000+ attempts into super Mario bros which is incredible optimized. He recorded the first ever 4:56 in October. This applies to super Mario 64 too, and probably any other game out there. He has probably failed thousands of times and just had to get used to it. If I want to keep going it will be rough but it will ultimately pay off. This is just the beginning. I need to remember that I am not a failure, I'm just learning from the game. 😊

2 comments:

  1. Definitely not a failure, dear lumanessence! Keeping at a goal and learning from mistakes is a great lesson to take away from this, as is the need for healthy breaks. I love watching you learn and grow...as a gamer, as a writer, and so much more. But then, as your mom, I am one of your biggest fans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks that's really cool it's mutual

    ReplyDelete